Monday, May 6, 2013

Happy Birthday Baby!

 
Can Ian really be a year old already? Has it really been 12 months since that sweet baby was born into our family?  This past year with him has changed our family so much.  Life is unimaginable without his spunky presence.  And he IS spunky! No one believes me because he is always a quiet angel around others... but at home he really lets his hair down!  That boy has no problem letting us know when he wants or doesn't agree with something. He loves to scream too... in happiness, excitement, annoyance, fear, tiredness, etc.  He is developing a little attitude too... uh oh.  If he wants something and I take it away he will screech so loud it would peel paint off the walls but when I try to give him something else he will chuck it as hard as he can with this really mad expression on his face!  I have even relented and tried to give back the thing I took and he still won't take it - he is so mad at me for daring to take it away in the first place!! He makes me laugh.  On the other hand, our Ian is super silly and loves loves loves to laugh!  It doesn't take much to get him giggling.  He's a little flirt and loves to play games with anyone.  He is my first little thumb sucker and it just melts my heart when I see him sucking his thumb.  We have a sweet little routine of snuggling before his sleep times while I sing to him. He cuddles against my shoulder and pops that little thumb in... sometimes I struggle to lay him down... I hate to let go of this precious baby.  It struck me a few weeks ago that this time is so fleeting with my babies. Even though we will be together for eternity... my children will be adults.  This time that I get to cuddle and protect and hold them close is so SHORT. It kinda breaks my heart.  I don't want to waste a minute or take any day for granted.  (Which of course I will...)  But I really want to remember that this time is a gift and that I need to treasure it. 
 
Well, to celebrate the special #1 birthday for our little man, we took the family to the Family Fun Center. It was our first time and we really had a blast!  Cheryl and Don were here so it was extra fun.  Here we are on the go-cart track... can I just say that Eric is a maniac?! BUT I did get around him at one point. :)  Gabe got to go with Grandma and Grandpa and had a great time.  Nyah and Gabe got to drive their own little bumper cars too which was very exciting!
 

Nyah and Ian watching from the sidelines. There is that little thumb! He was missing his nap but no complaints from our sweetheart.


Time for cake and presents!  Nyah and Gabe went together and bought Ian a big blue ball... do you think he liked it?!! :)


 I made him a cake that would really fit his personality.... a little monkey!!  He LOVED it... oh my goodness.  I was distracted for a just a few minutes and he had snarfed down his whole piece and was very happy about it!  That little dude is about the cutest thing in the world! We love him so much...
 





5 comments:

Brianne said...

I can't believe he's already ONE!!! Happy birthday, Ian!

Anonymous said...

Baba. I was impressed with how you described our time with our babies. That was very insiteful. I cherrished those days too and remember kept begging you guys to stop growing! Great, great memories!. . . . thanks for being one of them!! Dad

Mindy said...

Cute cute cute cake! you are SUCH a fun mommy!

I love how you described Ian's scream as enough to peel paint off the wall. Such a good description! Of course, I have only ever seen Ian as an angel. I can't wait to see him this summer.

It looks like you guys had a blast at the Family Fun Center, too. Jack would have been crazy excited about that.

Ever since we talked with Melanie about how our babies are only children once in the eternity of our knowing them, I have been thinking about it a lot too. I have been trying to cherish my moments with them more than ever.

Love yoU!

Melanie Anne said...

oh I love your sentiments so much...You and I are cut from the same cloth:) I miss my babies so much! It was a hectic time, but it goes so darn fast and soon they are teenagers, seriously!! In a blink of the eye it seems:) I can't imagine that little angel Ian with a scream that peels paint of the walls--LOL!! So funny! Those pictures (and word pictures) are so fun! I love the maniac Eric (ha ha) and the kids are so cute! ANd your monkey cake is darling! Good job Mama! I love you!

Jan S said...

I loved reading your thoughts about Ian. You are a wonderful mother and it is so great that you are recognize what a special time you are in right now, and are taking time to enjoy the kids while they are little. They do grow up so fast - it seems like just yesterday Dad and I were young parents and you kids were the sunshine of our lives. We cherish those memories and it is wonderful to see that you feel the same about this time of your life.