Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Mother of the Year Award

Today was career day at school. Gabe told me all about the parents that came in and shared with the kids what they do at work. One was a pharmacist and Gabe was fascinated with how they described counting and separating the pills.  So he asked me if I had any empty orange medicine bottles and if he could use one to play pharmacist with some M&M's.  I was in the middle of making dinner and didn't give it a lot of thought other than "how creative, sounds fun!"  I fetched him the empty bottle (incidentally an old Percocet prescription) and gave him some mini M&M's.  Of course he soon discovered he couldn't open the bottle and so I helped him but told him I couldn't show him how to do it - they were very special bottles that kids aren't supposed to open.  Several minutes later I began to have doubts as to the wisdom of my actions when I saw Nyah and Ian crowded around watching Gabe counting his "pills" and doling out one or two at a time when they said they were sick.  Things got worse when he asked again for help opening the bottle and this time Eric said "you're never going to get that open, Gabe. Kids can't open those." Then immediately we hear Gabe say: "It says Push Down and Turn" then he proceeds to do that and opens it with a triumphant grin on the first try!!!  Oh boy.  Even though I laughed out loud I immediately told him NOT to show Nyah how to do that.  I knew I was in big trouble when a few minutes later I find the pill bottle full of M&M's in Ian's little fist as he is trying to pry it open to get the treats inside.  Yeah.  Not my finest moment as a mother.

To top off this stellar day of parental excellence, I was half way through Nyah's bedtime story before I realized it was a pro gay agenda book!! Let me just add that I was the one that chose that book today at the library too. 

1 comment:

Melanie Anne said...

LOL this post is hilarious!! It sounds like something I would do --especially while trying to make dinner:) That Gabe is so darn cute!!