Monday, July 28, 2008

TRIP TO CANADA!

Eric, Gabe and I just got back from a trip to Alberta to visit my Grandparents in Magrath and spend the 24th of July holiday with my Mom's side of the family. I was excited to show Eric how beautiful and fun Alberta is! I have so many great memories of time spent up there with my family - it was wonderful to introduce Eric to everyone and spend a week sharing it all with him! Every time I go up there I wish we all lived closer. I miss my grandparents and all my fun aunts, uncles and cousins! We always have a blast with everyone riding horses, fishing, going to Waterton, boating, having big family meals and game nights...the fun never ends up there and I have 251 pictures because of that! :) To split up this daunting task of blogging our trip, I have decided to do it in 2 parts...here is part #1...

BANFF NATIONAL PARK
The first 4 days of our trip we spent in Banff (about an hour out of Calgary, Alberta). What gorgeous country, oh my gosh!! Eric and I both loved it. One of the best moments happened after being in the park only about 5 minutes...we saw a mama black bear and her two cubs on a mountain side!! Eric loves bears so this was especially exciting! Unfortunately I didn't get any good pictures (only video) of the bears, however, I did take some great ones on our hike later that day.
Johnston Canyon...this hike is amazing! For the most part, you are walking along these catwalks suspended from the canyon rock wall. The view of the river below the catwalks and the waterfalls are both so beautiful...these pictures just don't do it justice!




















Lake Louise and Lake Moraine...both of these lakes were breathtaking! The color of the water is unbelievable - it seemed more blue than even the Caribbean! Both lakes were nestled in such beautiful valleys...it was awe-inspiring to stand before them!

Fairmont Banff Springs Hotel... Wow, this hotel is amazing! It's styled after a Scottish baronial castle...very majestic and impressive! The Bow River Falls were near - here are some pictures of both.

Lake Minnewanka...we walked on a pretty path around one side of the lake and saw a herd of mountain sheep. There were even a few little babies too - my little guy sure liked them!
Canmore... Eric and I decided this is where we want to live...as soon as he figures out how to have a lucrative career in the middle of the wilderness! We stayed in the WorldMark resort here and loved it. We went on lots of great walks - all through the shops, along the river, through the marshes...it felt great to be in this quaint little village with huge, gorgeous mountains all around.



Calgary... we also spent 2 nights with my Aunt Cindy and Uncle Jim in Calgary. It was so fun to visit with them - they made us feel like we were at home! They even babysat Gabe while Eric took me out for dinner on my birthday. I couldn't turn 30 without doing something special! The owner of the restaurant offered to take our picture and spent quite some time arranging us and the flowers on the table to perfectly suit him - it was pretty funny! My sweet aunt and cousin Alex even made me a chocolate cake and, with Uncle Jim on the guitar, they all sang the prettiest rendition of the b-day song I've ever heard! What great family we have (I know, I'm always saying that)!

6 comments:

Isaac and Tallie said...

Wow what a fun trip! It looks gorgeous there. I hope you had a great birthday!

Melanie Anne said...

Wow--those pictures are amazing!! Seriously incredibly beautiful! I am going to have to get Brad to take us there--maybe next year. I am glad you had fun--you look gorgeous on your b-day! Happy 30th I am excited to take you to lunch this week! Love you!

Unknown said...

Happy 30th birthday!! Your trip looks amazing...sure is beautiful in Canada! I'm glad you guys had a good time, hopefully your flowers survived the heat while you were gone:) I have been to Calgary once during the Calgary Stampede...it was a lot of fun, I sure would like to go up there again sometime! I'm jealous of your fun little trip!

Mindy said...

Those pictures are absolutely beautiful, and I'll bet they are even more breathtaking in real life. Isn't it hard to choose from all your great pictures to choose ones for the blog?! It kills me every time b/c I just wnat to include them all. haha. Happy birthday, Baba. I can't wait to take you to lunch today, too (it's 4:46am - gag!) And maybe I'll have to request the birthday song over the phone on my birthday, though I am sure it is not as great.

Anonymous said...

I didn't realize you were able to see so much on your trip to the Banff area. Did you know that is where Dad and I went on our honeymoon? Too bad we didn't get to stay at the BIG hotel!

Erin said...

OK, that was SO fun to read all about your trip (first installment atleast - it's like a good book that's not over yet - there's more to come!). WOW - the scenery there is INCREDIBLE. You guys did so many neat hikes and visited lots of fun places. I wouldn't even know where to start if I went there. But it sounds like you really lived it up. Lake Louise and Lake Moraine are gorgeous. I agree - the water looks like the carribean. I just love that pic of Gabe looking up from his stroller. He is so happy and adorable. Just all-around CUTE.
Your birthday sounds so fun. That is so like Uncle Jim and Aunt Cindy to make a big special deal of your birthday. I just love them!