It feels so good to say that. I realize it's cheesy, I really do, but I feel like I've ignored a big part of my identity for the last few years! I miss it. I mean I really miss it. More than I thought I ever would. It's been 2 years since I have been into a NICU and worked with those sweet little spirits. Sometimes it will hit me so hard my heart aches with it. Working in that unique and special place was a huge part of my life before moving here to Washington. I spent 8 years doing it, 6 years full-time, before I left. More time than I have been a wife or a mother! Maybe that is why I feel that longing to be there again so much lately. It's kind of funny that it has taken me this long to realize how important it is to me. I still don't think I'll get my license while we're living here (just too much hassle for a short period) but I can't wait to get back someday!Here are some pictures of a precious few babies I took care of. I LOVED being around those little miracles every day. That is what they are too. This first little sweetheart was teensy tiny (that pic does not do her justice) and yet she did not need any respiratory support at all! She was breathing room air, no prob! :) That's a miracle!
These other little people were babies that I truly bonded to. They were so precious! I have even kept in touch with most of their families!

Here is my most special little girl... Lindi. She was another sweet little miracle. She started like this:
Is there any place on earth better to work than the NICU?!! I don't think so! :) For the most part you get to be a part of miracles and healing... and I can't imagine a better work environment than being surrounded by all those fresh little spirits from heaven. I can't wait to get back there someday! But for now I'll focus my love and attention on my own sweet little spirits from heaven! :)




10 comments:
Oh Britt what a sweet post! Those pictures and your sentiments brought tears to my eyes! What an awesome job--and how blessed those babies were to have a nurse like you!! Those babies could not have been in better hands! What a blessing for those MOmma's who couldn't be with them all the time to know that their caretaker was so passionate about their care and so full of love for them! You should definetly go back some day--You are a gifted NICU nurse! And a fabulous Mother. Your babies (all of them) are LUCKY! xoxo
That was a fun post to read, Brittany. Your love of taking care of those precious infants really came through. I bet you were the best NICU nurse! I think it's really neat that you have been able to keep in contact with some of the families. What a neat part of you life!
I have a hard time imagining a sweet little baby as long as a pencil, or compared to the length of a dollar bill. I am staring at a pencil in denial. Wow, those babies really were miracles!
Made me think of our own little miracle, Sydney! She is still little though. :) I sure hope you stay here for awhile! I like you!
We were so blessed to have your help. Words can not describe what it means to have someone you trust taking care of your fragile child. You know since we were in the NICU 108 days we saw more than our share of nurses but you were the one I felt would provide the best gentle loveing care for little Lindi. Love you Britt!! Have you looked at FB lately and seen how she's grown.
Oh I just love this post!! It definitely brought tears to my eyes! I know Savannah was in NICU for only a very short time (4 days, and she was the big baby)it was so nice to know she was being taken care of by such amazing, talented, caring and sweet nurses. We will be forever grateful to her nurses. I know the families of babies you took care of will be forever grateful to you! We are definitely grateful for you too! :) And like Kelly said, I like you! lol
What a great job! I'm sure it had it's ups and downs but you were a huge blessing to those babies and their families. Looks like you are having fun in WA! I still think about you guys everytime I walk up to the mailbox. :)
I loved this post Brittany! What a blessing you were to so many families by taking care of their sick babies. Now your family is blessed by your love and compassion. Miss you!
I've looked through these pictures on this post so many times before I had a chance to read it. And now I can't decide what I like more, the pictures our your little miracle babies or your words. I got tears in my eyes reading this post. You are special Brittany! You have a natural love and comfort with babies, and it touches me to watch the way you handle them with such tenderness. It was so neat to be able to spend a little time in your NICU with you when I was a PA student, too. What an amazing career!
WE WANT YOU BACK!!! I am so glad to hear that you miss the NICU. I am still there one night a week and a mommy the rest of the time. It's such a great escape to go to work some nights. It's a little sad though because it's not the same as it was at good old LDS. We have lost many of our great coworkers to other jobs which just sucks! But the babies still make it the greatest place on earth to work.
I'm glad you got out here to Utah to visit your family. Next time if you have spare time call me and we'll all go to lucnh for a NICU reunion!
Brittany, I just loved this post. You always loved your job working with these precious, fragile little ones. If our family ever has a preemie, I hope that we get a nurse who puts the love into the care of her babies that you always did. You are a truly wonderful person.
Post a Comment