Wednesday, June 10, 2009

so uplifting

I know it's strange to post pictures of flowers but I had to! I was at my parents the other day and I decided to cut myself a bouquet of roses from my mom's flower garden. I just can't get over how absolutely beautiful the flowers are... each blossom is just perfect. I love having them sit on my table at home so that I can enjoy them all day. It really makes me happy!Every time I go over to their house I love to walk around the yard and just soak up the beauty of it. My parents really complement each other in creating a gorgeous yard. Dad, as a landscape architect, has an uncanny gift in creating the overall plan: the size and shape of planters, patios and paths and the placement of trees, bushes, and flower beds. It is just amazing. And then there is Mom that brings it all to life with her green thumb and creative genius! She knows just what to put where and it all blends beautifully. The variety is what enchants me... it's like there is always something to discover. Together they transformed a complete dump (from 16 yrs ago when we moved here from Az.) into a beautiful, peaceful oasis. Look, I know I sound corny but I don't care... it's seriously how I feel. It calms and uplifts me just to be able to walk around and look at the amazing variety of plants and flowers, trees and shrubs. I love it.

I guess the reason I'm thinking so much about this is that my parents have sold their home and bought a new one in Highland so my days are numbered to enjoy it. It really makes me sad! I have so many incredible memories in that house and yard. Man, I'm really not good with change and there are just a few too many for me lately! It really breaks my heart to think that after I move, when I come home to visit, my 'home' will be gone. Of course their new house and lot is just gorgeous with lots of room for more gardening and even the horses! It will be wonderful to see them put their personal touch to it as well. I truly am excited for them - it's going to be great. I just hate to say goodbye to something I love....

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Those roses are so pretty! I love having fresh flowers on my table to look at every day. Man, you are having a lot of CHANGE right now. I guess change is something we have to go through to grow and learn but I don't like it that much either. What a great talent your parents have, I am sure their next yard will be just as beautiful!

Melanie Anne said...

Those roses are beautiful! IT is sad for Mom and Dad to leave the home they worked so hard on--we do have a lot of happy memories there--for one, our wedding receptions! I am happy to have them so close now though. That will be awesome!~ I am glad you took these pictures.

Mindy said...

I agree, Britt. I LOVE Mom and Dad's yard. I think that is what I will miss the most when they move. It is incredible, and it makes me feel uplifted when I walk around in it, too.

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Baba. The other night after returning from work, then from the 'new' house (painting) I drove into the yard, and noticing your mom wasn't home, took my time as I walked up the driveway past the rock retaining paralleling the front sidewalk where your mom had me out there planting her last creation under the pines. I walked up the sidewalk, thru the gate and under the Amur Maple to our patio and sport court area. I reminisced on all the family dinners on the patio. . . the games of 'knock-out' basketball. . . the homerun derbies Matt, Eric, Griff, Brad, Jed and I played trying to hit the plastic golf ball into the garden. I remember then the little boys trying and all the balls we had to climb up on the roof to retreive. I remember the camp-outs with my grandsons; watching movies from the grass; and hosting wedding receptions. It was a small 1/3 acre lot on the east side of one of the largest cities in Utah (Sandy), with neighbors a 'breath' away. .. but it was private; had good views to the mountains we love; big mature trees; and wonderful neighbors. Yeh, we did turn it into a place we liked to visit and be in. Our new place (Highland) will have a totally different character. . .and your mom and I will make it a place you'll want to be too. I know it will be as special as our family breaks it in; has fun, and spends time there. Thanks for honoring the "Sandy homestead", honey. . . it deserves it and because you loved it, it makes me happy. Dad

Emily said...

Beautiful fresh flowers are the best! So fun to see your cute family! Good luck in Washington. I am sure it will be a great adventure! Send me your email address and I will send you a link to our blog. We are lame - it's private. My email is eloveland at hotmail. It will be fun to keep in touch! Emily

Erin said...

What a fun tribute to the home we grew up in, and to Mom and Dad who made it lovely. I will miss it too. Mom and I walked around the yard together while I was in town and named and talked about all the plants. That was really fun!

Jan S said...

Thanks for that lovely tribute to our home, Baba. I am having such a hard time leaving it too. For me, there is nothing more relaxing and peaceful than coming home in the summer and reading under the big cherry tree that hangs over into our yard. That space feels like a secret garden where the cares of the world are far away. I hope we will be able to create this kind of a peaceful place in the new home. I trust your Dad to design something nice. As you noted, it was an ugly eyesore of a yard when we moved in, and working together we all created a place that was inviting and beautiful. The real beauty of the yard and gardens though are the happy experiences we have shared over the years. We will do that again at our new home. I love you, honey. We will have to plan out our times together a little more carefully, but we will do it and see more of each other than you probably think we will!