Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Rolcanos and Dinosaurs

No that is not a typo... that is what Gabe calls volcanoes and I think it's adorable. :) One day he had his friend Sook over to play and they used play doh to make a fabulous recreation of the earth just before the dinosaurs were wiped out!! We even made the volcano erupt (with a little help from baking soda and vinegar)... super cool and exciting!!!  Aren't they creative? 

 
 Ok I decided to share a funny tidbit about this "play date".  Where to start though...?  Gabe is super reserved at school.  I mean it's actually painful for me to watch him struggle so much to open up around others.  For the most part I try not to worry - it's just him and I have to let him be himself and not try to force him to be someone he's not.  But I was more than I little frustrated when encouraging him to talk, smile, look people in the eye and return a hello - even practicing with him - wasn't doing any good.  I would work in his classroom and watch as a whole day would go by without him cracking a smile and barely saying two words to the kids around him.  Argh!  I want him to be happy. I want people to see his bright, vivacious personality.  I could see, plain as day, that he was observing instead of participating and that was just tormenting me.  As I said already though, I had to come full circle in the end and accept that he will do things the way HE wants to do things and I just need to love him the way he is.  But I did decide that at least I could start coordinating play times with school friends at our house so that he could break the ice a little, one on one. Gabe and Sook actually get along great together and play at recess together. Sook is almost exactly like Gabe... so quiet and straight faced that I have only seen him smile a couple times all year!!  So anyway, back to the story... When Sook arrived at our house I suggested Gabe go show him all his toys upstairs.  After a while I went up to surreptitiously see how things were going... and found them both sitting in his room not talking, just kinda looking around!!!  I laugh just remembering it! I was slightly horrified at first and immediately gave them some ideas for a fun time, one of which was making a play-doh landscape.  The dinosaurs and volcano were their idea.  I should have known that those two would need a little help, haha!!!

3 comments:

Melanie Anne said...

That looks awesome! Serisously Gabe is so creative! It is very impressive! That is adorable about the two of them sitting there quietly! What cuties! Youa re such a great Mom Britt to do all that you can to help him develop social skills in such a non pressured way. All kids can use some guidance socialy (in different ways of course) but what a blessing you are to your little ones to be so sensitive and sweet with it! Love you sis!~ xoxo

Erik & Marcie +3 said...

Ok, that is too funny about the boys! Love it. And holy cow, what an awesome creation! So creative! What a great mom to let them do something fun like that, and help them with it.

Mindy said...

I am so impressed with their landscape! Gabe really is very creative. I love that about him. And that quieter personality allows him to focus on things better. I think it is awesome that you are coordinating play dates for him. You really are the best mom!