Thursday, June 12, 2008

Spring flowers

I just love plants - especially flowers. Unfortunately they haven't loved me! I haven't had much luck with plants in the past. Sometimes they would last for several good weeks and then either suddenly die for no apparent reason or else slowly start ailing...leaves starting to droop then drop until the poor thing is a lanky bunch of naked stems. Other times they stay nice and green and healthy but don't grow an inch all season! It has been so frustrating and not a little sad! Well, all that has changed this year and I am thrilled!! (I'm not counting my sad little vegetable garden that is hanging on to life by a thread right now) Anyway, my flowers are thriving and I couldn't be more proud of myself! :) I had SO much fun going to the nursery and picking them out - I couldn't narrow down all the choices so I bought at least one of all my favorites. Fellow shoppers were laughing with me about how, even in the checkout line, I kept grabbing more! There are just so many pretty flowers! I love all the different shapes, colors and textures...hence the craziness of my flower pots! I love it that way, though. Planting day was a blast as well. I remember telling Eric how happy it made me feel! Sounds silly but it's just exactly the feeling I had all day as I was digging around moving dirt and mixing together all those pretty plants I had brought home. My parents both have bright green thumbs and just seem to have a knack for mixing all different kinds of shrubs, flowers, trees, and ground cover to create the prettiest gardens. Now I believe there is hope for me to someday be like them when I grow up!! So here are some pictures of my flowers...all you big time gardeners, don't laugh! I'm aware that they aren't that special but for me they are perfect! :)

This last picture was a few weeks ago when the snapdragons were blooming. I wanted to wait for the red flowers to bloom before taking pictures but I just couldn't wait! (I hate to jinx myself but I never know how long they are going to look like this!) So of course now the petunias and tiny red flowers (my favorites) are blooming but no snapdragons. Oh well, I figured this way you could see both!

7 comments:

Jodi said...

I think they are gorgeous. I too am a pitiful gardener. Every year that they give me a flower for mother's day it invariably dies. I once tried to plant a tomato plant in a pot and it was a huge failure. But you look to have figured it out!

Amy said...

Way to go Brittany! I love the fun mixture of different flowers too, it's so bright and colorful! Maybe I'll have to get some tips from you and try a few planters of my own! And I love the video of Gabe's scooting! I love how he just scoots around the rug to get to Nali! And he's so proud of himself too!

Mindy said...

Your flower pots look BEAUTIFUL!!! I'll have to recruit you to help me with mine next year. I enjoy plants so much, and I think I would enjoy growing them if I got over my intimidation of starting the whole process. But next year you are going to be wowed by my yard, too. :) Love you, sis!

Amy said...

Pretty flowers!! I love planting flowers too! It makes everything look nicer with a few flower blooming! I love your hair...it's getting long! You look great and Gabe is such a cutie!!!

Marcel said...

Brittany,
I think your flowers are beautiful. I planted some this year and they don't look as nice as yours.
Gabe is such a handsome little man!
They grow too fast huh? Hopefully we'll get to work together soon!
Lynnell

Melanie Anne said...

Wow--who knew youare such a green thumb!! Your flowers look amazing! I may need you to help me with my pots next year!

Anonymous said...

Looking good, Baba! One correction: it is your mother with the green thumb. . .not me!
Dad S