
This book is amazing!! I read it for book club in about 4 days...I could NOT put it down. I had heard from my sister, Melanie, that it was good but I had no idea how good! I was surprised at how much I loved it since it is so different from most of my favorite books. It is written as a journal which at first I didn't think I would like. However, Sarah (the main character) has a way of writing that brings her experiences to life and has a way of making you feel what she went through. I was crying by page 15! It's amazing how easily you get wrapped up in her life...her hopes, fears, dreams, and triumphs. It also made me realize how incredibly blessed I am and how much I take for granted. As I read I was feeling guilty about the small things in my life that make it so easy... like disposable diapers, indoor plumbing, and electricity. But the big things were what really stopped me in my tracks and humbled me when I realized how blessed I was. Things like knowing the purpose of life and that I will see loved ones again, having the gift of medical knowledge and expertise available now, and having the incredible opportunity to receive an education! Things I know I absolutely take for granted on a daily basis. This book was definitely an eye opener for me - it had the same effect as looking into a mirror that reflected my own life for me to see and helped me understand that regardless of what we have been given in this life, what really matters is what we do with it. I want to have the same indomitable spirit that she exhibited in her life... the same sense of humor and resiliency, strength and compassion. I know that her life was fictional but I also know that she represents so many women throughout history with similiar stories. I am so inspired! :) Bottom line...read the book!!




5 comments:
I LOVED this book too! I am glad you liked it. I felt the same way when I was done with it!
I can't to read it. I need to get it soon. I need a new book.
I meant to say, "I can't WAIT to read it." i looked back and realized it says exactly the opposite.
I too loved, loved, loved this book. I hope you are coming to book club on Wednesday. I really wanted Sarah to be a real person. I loved her spirit too- she was an amazing woman. She has inspired me to be a better person!
Okay, I have heard so so so many people recommend this book. I absolutely HAVE to go get it and read it now, especially after your fabulous review. I'm inspired just from reading your thoughts on the book!
Post a Comment