Thursday, August 28, 2008
backyard hiking
Last Saturday morning we took the whole family and went on a hike straight up our backyard! Adventurous Eric was our "guide" as he had done it before with Denali. It was steep and hot for the first half but Eric lured me on with talk of a neat tunnel made from trees. Well, I wasn't disappointed! Soon the pretty, green tunnel appeared and it was so cool inside that shade... by at least 15 degrees! So we hiked up the tunnel for awhile until we came to this little hunting shack that Eric had told me about. It is definitely kind of creepy to see it through the trees as you approach but once I was there it was fascinating to imagine it new. Whoever built it was very thorough with a brick fire area and old rain gutters for a chimney. An old carved board said it was built in 1974. I thought it was pretty cool, although I wouldn't spend a night up there for a million dollars! (Ok maybe a million but not a penny less!)
Gabe was a happy little hiker, especially if he had an empty water bottle to bop Daddy on the head with! :)
The heat was a little much for poor Denali but since she can't stand to be left behind she would run ahead then flop herself down in the shade of a few weeds until we caught up...then she was off again! She absolutely loves hiking with us!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




5 comments:
That looks like so much fun! I love to be adventurous and go exploring! I love that it's getting cooler outside so we can explore a little more! :)
I didn't know that all existed in our back yard! Wow- Dave and Callie go hiking up there all the time, but I haven't heard of any hunting shacks. Poor Denali- how funny is she?!
Britt,
What a beautiful area you live in. How great to step out your backdoor and have such adventures awaiting you. We had something very similiar in Germany (hiking trails out behind our home). Looks like a fun day!
I am so impressed with how adventurous you guys are. I don't think anyone has gotten as much use out of a baby backpack hiking carrier as you guys have. That is so cool. The hike sounds really cool. And that shack is cool. Trippy, though, that it's in your "backyard" and it's ancient!
You guys are so fun and adventurous! And your writing style is so cute, sis. I can just imagine you telling me this all in person. I can hear you in the way you write! :) What a cool hike, too. We had fun having you guys over the other night... let's do it again soon!
Post a Comment