Thursday, August 20, 2009

our "hiking" adventure

This is a pretty funny story... Eric and I wanted to go hiking again and this time Eric really wanted to check out Mt. Rainier area and Crystal Mountain area. Sooooo we get in the car Saturday morning prepared for our 1 hour drive. Luckily Gabe had his aunt Caitlynn as a backseat buddy. We couldn't leave Denali home from our adventure (she lives for mountain excursions) so we packed her in the trunk! It sounds awful but she has lots of room and we open the little window thing between the backseats for her too. The cozy backseat: Well the drive was beautiful, absolutely. The fact that it was more like 1 1/2 hours was still ok... but then we finally get to a trail head and get everyone out of the car, excited to go when... we find out no dogs allowed! Well, there's no way we can leave her in the trunk and Eric refuses to tie her up somewhere (someone will definitely try to steal her...!) so what do we do? Turn around and head back for the car! Man!! That hike looked like the most beautiful country ever too... grrrr. The path started by crossing over a bubbling stream on a tree trunk bridge then slowly climbing up a mountain full of moss covered trees and feathery, green ferns with the dappled sunlight filtering through the pine needles... just gorgeous. Aaaah well. So we then proceeded to go back down the canyon road to a campground where we all piled out again and went to the bank of a shallow river. Gabe was delighted to throw an endless supply of rocks into the rushing water and the rest of us got to enjoy the fresh mountain air while we followed our little guy's example and had a rock-skipping contest! It was still a fun outing... even though 90% of it was in the car! We definitely made the most of our time together in such a close space though... it was a real party! :) (This video shows Gabe dancing and saying "party!!" while pumping his fists in the air! He was doing it so much better before I started the camera but here is a sampling of the silliness! You may want to pause the music to hear him - go to the bottom to see the music player)

4 comments:

Unknown said...

That's funny! Too bad you didn't get to do the hike...another time for sure! :) Gabe sure is cute and getting so big.
I saw that you guys sold your house and I met the guy of the couple that moved in. That's great that you got it sold...probably a huge relief for you guys!! It's wierd having someone else live there! Miss you guys.

Kristen said...

I love how Denali is poking through back seat... what a great idea! Sorry you could't do the hike! Gabe is so cute, as always!

Cami said...

Bummer; at least you saw some nice scenery!

Mindy said...

I loved that post! Gabe doing his party dance is adorable! It makes me miss him so much! And I loved the first picture with Nali poking her head out from between the seats. It looks like a beautiful place, too. Can't wait to see it in person! I love your descriptions. Oh, and I have to tell you something funny. As soon as your blog came up with the music, Jack stopped playing to listen to the Kate BUsh song. Then when Alanis started singing, he was back to playing with his toys. I thought it was pretty funny. :)