Sunday, August 2, 2009

Beatin' the heat

Actually there is no beating the heat here lately but we have been trying our darnedest!! With record breaking temps of 107 and 85% humidity coupled with NO AIR CONDITIONING... you can only imagine our suffering! There has been hardly any rain this summer too - crazy weather for Western Washington. Right now it is 7:30pm and 82 degrees in the house. The humidity makes me feel like I'm slowly suffocating! Thankfully, I think the worst is over now. Gabe and I did our best to avoid the house during the week by going swimming, over to friends houses (with ac) to play, going to the mall, the library, taking multiple costco trips -even the grocery store was a favorite. I wish I would have taken a picture or two of Gabe sleeping in his diaper with fans going day and night. Poor little guy! The heat was bad during nap time but just awful by bed time (even though we put him to bed later than usual during the worst of it). At bedtime I would fill the sink with cold water and let him soak his feet and play in it for awhile. He would end up soaked head to foot and shivering by the end! It didn't last long but better than nothing! He was a trooper through it all and never complained. He would only say occasionally: "hot in here, Mama"! What a cutie!At a blissfully cool mall in Bellevue with an awesome area called Kids Cove full of stuff for kids to play on. It was PACKED with kids! It seemed like every mom in the Seattle area had the same idea we did!!Last night playing in Cedar River. That felt good!
On Wednesday, ironically what I think was the hottest day, we went to a farm openhouse fun day for kids. It was really neat with all kinds of things to do. Unfortunately we were so hot it was hard to enjoy anything. Gabe was so red-faced I kept pouring the water down his throat and trying to coax him into the shade (to no avail). He did however find a sprinkler and stand in it until his clothes were soaked! His face was like "Ah ha! This feels really good, I think I'll stay!" I had to drag him away eventually. Here he is with his new buddy Ethan - they were both just soaked with sweat but wanted to go, go, go anyway! And a few pictures of Gabe petting the animals. He stands as far away as possible and reaches out to touch for just a fraction of a second and calls it good. You can only imagine the kind of photography skills it takes to capture these moments!

My little tough guy wasn't afraid one whit of that huge, gorgeous horse. He wanted to ride him!!

8 comments:

Cheryl said...

Keep the pictures coming! I can hardly go a day without checking the blog to get my Gabe fix. It helps so much to see that you are all fine. We miss you so much! Even though we have hardly given you a weekend without one of us there! Give Gabe a big kiss from his gramma!
Love- Cheryl

Kristen said...

Wow Brittany! That does not sound fun at all! I hate being hot. At least your surroundings are beautiful and it looks like you have plenty of creative ways to stay cool. I am impressed!

Amy said...

Oh I've missed so many posts since we've been out of town! Wow, you guys have been busy! It looks like so much fun there...besides the heat of course:) I'm so glad that you're finally moved in, your neighbors are awesome, you have a yard (I'm very jealous:), and there are so many fun places to explore! We miss you guys, but did I hear that you might be coming out to Utah in a little while? I might be making that up...that would be sweet though!

Team Box! said...

We miss you guys!!! Seattle looks beautiful, we need to come visit! Bentley has the same spiderman car. works wonders!

Jeff and Nanci said...

Hey Brittany, We miss you tons. Your little guy is getting so big. He looks just like you. You all look like you are keeping busy. Swimming and staying cool. Talk to ya later!!

Erin said...

I can't believe you don't have AC. Is it broken? Yikes! Gabe is adorable "hot in here mama!" I can totally hear his little voice in those words. :) The pics ofhim reaching out to the animals were very cute. Awesome that he wasn't afraid of the horse at all, thanks for all those horseback rides with Grandpa and Grandma! :)
It sounds like you guys are having such a nice time. I'm so glad. I'm very impressed with all the fun things there are to do there.

Rae Lynn and Brett said...

I love the pictures of the boys on the tractors. How fun!!!! Tonight was fun we need to do it again. We will see you guys tomorrow. I love your blog you are really good at updating it.

Melanie Anne said...

How fun! I am impressed! You are so adventurous! We ahve seriously done zippo in our new area! We need to follow your example and get out and check out our new home. I love how Gabe "pets" the animals! That is so cute! Love you!