Sunday, March 13, 2011

dinner by candlelight

Finally, a guy in the house that appreciates ambiance!! :) Let me explain... Gabe was rummaging through my cupboards while I was making dinner the other day. He came up with some Thanksgiving candlestick holders and red candles which he enthusiastically assembled and placed on the dinner table. All by himself, I might add. (I have to admit at this point that it was really hard for me not to try and persuade him to use different holders, or at least matching candles, but I restrained myself and went with the flow!!) He made sure we lit them and then all during dinner exclaimed how pretty they were and pointed them out to Daddy several times! I thought that last part was extremely funny as Eric has absolutely no notion of ambiance. And ironically we had just had the conversation a few days earlier where I told him how my mom loved to set a beautiful table and how we would usually eat with lit candles at dinner time all growing up. (Having said that, I have to laugh at how funny my dinner table looks that night. The least of which is Gabe's choice of candles... um, nice bottles of olive oil and balsamic vinegar in the foreground -haha!) Anyway, it was too precious of a moment for me not to record. Gabe is such a cute little boy! I love my little buddy!!

7 comments:

Melanie Anne said...

oh what a sweet little guy! My boys love candles too--and I swear it has a calming effect at dinner. Always a good thing with 5 boys at the table:) I love that little Gabe--give him a kiss from Aunt Melanie! xo

Brianne said...

He's going to make some lucky girl very happy in about 20 years :-).

Kristen said...

Like Gabe and Melanies boys, my little guys love candles at dinner. They enthusiastically set out candles for every Sunday dinner. They also live using our good china. Who knew boys could appreciate candles and china... Maybe my enthusiasm for these fine things has influenced them!

Mindy said...

Woops! Would you mind erasing that comment from "Griffin." He hates when I do that! :) And Here is my comment again...

That is so sweet! I love that you took the time to take a picture, too. I can just imagine Gabe loving them and poiting them out to his unappreciating daddy. It makes me chuckle just imagining it all. Gabe is such a fun little boy, Baba.

Grandma Cheryl said...

I love reading these sweet stories! Gabe is growing up so fast and I recognize those funny candlesticks too! I think I made a set for just about everyone in the family.

Erik & Marcie +3 said...

So sweet! Gabe is such a sweet little guy. Oh, and I love the big bottle of olive oil. Too funny!!

Jan S said...

Baba, thank you for writing about these fun little experiences. It makes me feel like I am "in" on Gabe's life. I miss him so much. He is just a darling boy.