Wednesday, July 13, 2011

my sanity

This sandbox has preserved my sanity yet again. All day has been blustery and chilly with rain on and off. The sun came out at 3pm and we opened up the sandbox.... sweet relief!! The kids have been playing out there happily with only the occasional blood-curdling scream from Nyah followed by absolutely outraged crying. You know, the kind that makes you think a digit has been chopped off. Yes, that is our little drama queen for ya. I don't usually rush off in a panic anymore, it's more like a glance out the window or casual question to Gabe about what happened. Usually it's that her brother has forbidden her to touch something that he is playing with. Oh the nerve of that boy to dare tell her what she can or cannot do!! :) Other than that, those two have been having a grand old time and there is plenty of sand lodged under fingernails and embedded in their hair to prove it!


Meanwhile I have had the opportunity to work on dinner in peace. I have had the hankering for Cafe Rio Sweet Pork Salad and so I decided to tackle that today. It is a lot of work making the sweet pork recipe, black beans from scratch, cilantro lime rice, tomatillo dressing, crisp tortilla strips and all the other fixings but it's worth it. Well, a few times a year anyway! Haha! So anyway, I have been loving this quiet time alone. I even decided to snap a picture of my two cuties at play and post about it so I can always remember this. I love those two munchkins to death but once in awhile it's hard being home every day, all day with them. I know all stay-at-home moms can relate! 90% of the time I just love it. Truly I do, I'm not just saying that. It is the most fulfilling and uplifting job a woman can work at. But there are those other times... and that is where the blessed sandbox comes in. The best $30 I have ever spent on Craigslist!


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Oh my gosh, Gabe just came in covered in sand, water, and bark (and missing pants!) to tell me that he was "only a little bit wet, just a tiny, little bit wet, just a little." (Yesterday he got in trouble for rolling around (er playing) in the mud a neighbor's sprinklers created in our yard and was forbidden to go near it today.) Then he tells me that Nyah is playing in dog poop!!!!!! WHAT!!!!!! I literally screamed and raced out there to find this:
Somehow she got her legs folded up inside Denali's none-too-clean water dish. Full of water of course. She was soaked and filthy. The dog poop part is questionable and something I don't want to think about. There was some evidence on the grass (curse that dog) but now Nyah is sanitized and clean and that is that. I'm not sure how I can forget that although I may clean it all up before they start playing, the dog is still out there and things happen, if you know what I mean. What was I thinking, sitting down out of sight of the window to post on the blog?!! Duh!! Well now I can laugh about it a little. Now that she has had a quick little bath and has new clothes on and playing happily where I can see her!!

6 comments:

Brianne said...

I'm totally cracking up over the last part.

Griffin Christensen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mindy said...

That was the best post! And you convinced me I need a sandbox. :) Of course, it makes me laugh that as soon as you turn your back for a moment, all hell breaks loose (well, that was probably an exaggeration -- hehe). Anyway, I simply cannot wait to see those two little munchkins! Nyah looks so big and pretty, and Gabe is a little boy. He doesn't seem like a toddler anymore at all. I'm counting down the minutes. :)

PS I totally know what you mean about needing a moment to yourself sometimes. Colt has just discovered that he can scream... combined with Jack it is going to put me in the nut house. :)

Jan S said...

I laughed and laughed picturing your day! You are so funny, Baba. I know what you mean - I have funny memories of each of you kids REALLY getting into a mess when I was trying so hard to clean house or get something done. You will have a good laugh over this one . . . 10 years from now when you don't have little kids anymore! :)
Can't wait to see you all. The kids are growing so fast and are such little cutie-pies! Just 6 more days!

Erik & Marcie +3 said...

Awesome post. Toughest job ever, but for sure the most rewarding. You are such a fantastic mom! K and next time you are craving cafe rio, call me! We can split up the recipes! yum yum yum

Melanie Anne said...

What a fun post!! I can relate--somedays are a exhausting being afull time Momma:) That sandbox looks so fun--and what hilarious mischief your little ones got into while you had your back turned for a few minutes. too funny! I really really miss you!!! xoxoxo