Thursday, April 19, 2012

Homecoming

Friday afteroon we headed home with our sweet Ian! On the way we had an appointment with an ENT doctor to fix his little tongue... his frenulum (membrane that tethers tongue to bottom of mouth) was unusually short and attached too far toward the tip of his tongue. This was causing problems with breastfeeding - instead of the tongue coming forward to cover the bottom gums, he was unable to do this and so was biting down and thrusting his tongue against me trying to get the milk out. Not very effective for him and super ouchy for me!! So just 24 hours after coming into the world he had to have his little tongue cut to free it. Poor sweetheart! But honestly he did great and the ENT told me it causes minimal pain/discomfort. Here is a picture that shows how tight his tongue was tethered:After that small side track to the ENT, we headed to our friend's house to pick up the big kids. Little Ian definitely didn't have the homecoming I had envisioned... Nyah had a fever the day I went into labor so I knew she had been struggling with a virus but what a shock it was to see how miserably sick they both were!! Nyah was like all the life had been sucked out of her and just layed on our shoulder limply with no interest in anything around her. And Gabe too... poor little man was wandering around in a fog. It had just hit him that day and he was burning up with fever too. Just the night before he had been in to see the baby and had been bouncing around so happy and full of energy. Today he was just like Nyah - both were so ill it broke my heart. :( I was also so grateful to all the wonderful friends that had taken care of my little kids during this time. I felt sad that I hadn't been there to cuddle them and take care of them but it felt really good to know that I had loving, kind friends that had watched over them when their parents couldn't be there. Needless to say, Eric spent the next two days holding and cuddling the kids through this awful sickness while I cared for our newest little guy. Thank goodness Ian never caught that bug!

5 comments:

Jan S said...

Oh, they do look sick. Thank goodness you had Eric and so many sweet friends. When Erin came home from the hospital, you and Matt had the chicken pox, so I can relate.
Baby Ian is SO cute! Can't wait to see you all and hold that cute baby.

Jodi said...

Chase had the a similar tongue issue. We had it cut on his two week appointment. It broke my heart but I'm glad its fixed and he won't have a weird tongue for the rest of his life!

Mindy said...

Oh, Gabe and Nyah DO look miserable. How stressful and sad to have two sick babies and a fresh little newborn. I"m so glad you had Eric around to help. I wish I were around to help!

Erik & Marcie +3 said...

Oh those poor kiddos!! I'm so sorry I wasn't here to help!! But glad there were so many others here to help out. You are very loved! :) I didn't know about Ian's tongue! Supposedly the tongue tie issue runs in Erik's family. Troy's is slightly tied, but not enough to get snipped. Glad you got it taken care of early though!!

Li said...

Aww... they do look sick. Poor kiddos. :( I'm glad they're feeling better now. Little Ian is so sweet. :)