There's good news and bad news....
Good news first. The silent-back-to-bed routine worked perfectly!! It got better and better until the last few days she goes cheerfully to bed and for naps, just like the old Nyah. I couldn't be more happy! She even told Eric last night she wasn't afraid of her bed anymore (I actually didn't know she was afraid of it...) and she literally bounces into whenever it's time to sleep now. As opposed to her screaming refusal to get in it at all last week. So I have heaved a huge sigh of relief over that.
The bad news. She now gets up at night. Usually starting around midnight. Ugh. In the beginning she would go outside her room and turn on all the lights, upstairs and down, and wait for us to wake up. Then, I think when that was taking too long (mommy was getting very tired), she would wake up her brothers. Poor Gabe just dealt with it - I didn't even know she was waking him up until he told me one day. But you can imagine how ticked I was when at 4:30 am one morning I wake up to hear Ian just screaming. He just doesn't do that. Well as soon as I leave my bedroom I see why... Nyah is laying down looking at books with her feet drumming on his door! Grrrr! I completely forgot the silent-back-to-bed routine that time! After that she got sneakier. She started going downstairs in the dark, dragging pillow and blankies, and shutting herself up in the laundry room where Denali sleeps. At least no one was getting interrupted sleep but the dog. ;) Anyway, we had a talk with her and guess what.... weirdly it worked. Well, I'm not sure if it was the talk or the prize of a tootsie pop in the morning. But she stayed in bed all night, as far as I know, I guess. She is up super early with Gabe but honestly I don't care right now, as long as I get to sleep! It's only been one night so we'll see if she stays put again tonight. I'm keeping my fingers crossed...!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




3 comments:
Put a new door knob on her door with a lock and put it on backwards so the locking part is on the outside...
Oh I remember these days! Getting little people to have healthy and good sleep habits is so hard sometimes! Han gin there--it sounds like you are handling it very well! You are a great Momma! Tough love is rougn on the parents sometimes! Love you
That cracks me up that she woke up all her brothers... then the dog. Jack just comes barreling into my room if he wakes up at night. And I am really really impressed that it worked to talk with her. I probably would have locked the door like your friend said. But then again, that would have resulted in wailing and gnashing of teeth by Jack which would have woken me up anyway. (:
Post a Comment