Monday, May 10, 2010

Maifest at Leavenworth

On Saturday we packed up the kiddies and their strollers, blankies, treats, and toys and made the 2.5 hour trek to Leavenworth for Maifest! Leavenworth is a small Bavarian-style town tucked into the mountains NE of Seattle. All of the architecture is so quaint with the gingerbread house carved wooden railings and eaves. I loved it! It reminded me of Matt's townhouse at the Zermatt in Midway! We had a great time. Some of the highlights were... a grand parade, countless Bernese Mountain Dogs (some pulling little flower carts!), a traditional dance around the Mai Pole, yummy lunch of Bratwurst and German potato pancakes, a beautiful walk around an island and best of all... a ferocious hailstorm!! Of course that hit while I was sitting on a little stone wall watching Gabe play on the grass and attempting to nurse Nyah. Eric was gone fetching us some lunch when it started to rain. I managed to get the umbrella covering the baby and stroller while somehow keeping myself covered and her latched on. (Gabe couldn't be persuaded to join us!) By the time the hail started Eric had returned (thank goodness) and we all huddled together underneath the tiny protection of the umbrella. Gabe was looking like he wasn't too certain he liked the experience so Eric and I were making it sound super fun! (Oh boy-what a blast. haha!) Eventually we made a run for it and got under the eaves of a building across the street. Drenched, we ducked into a restaurant for shelter mostly, and also lunch. By the time we were done, the sky was clear and the sun was out - it looked like a different day altogether! Before heading home, we had a wonderful walk along the riverand over into an island. Gabe thought it was loads of fun to push his own stroller. I had to take a picture of him giggling hysterically while zigzagging back and forth on the path! He pushed that thing the entire time too - it felt like a mile although I don't know for sure how far it was. What a fun adventure!!

10 comments:

Armstrong said...

Looks like fun and reminds me of October Fest at Snowbird. We love to go there each year for a different environment and experience. The kids are getting so big and are adorable!

Anonymous said...

That sounded fun, Baba! It must have been quite an excursion (5 hrs driving!!). I'm glad you are getting out and seeing some of the NW. It sounds really cool. . . soon you'll be loving it so much you and Eric won't want to come home. Love you guys, Dad

Mindy said...

How fun is that!? You guys always do the coolest stuff. I am so hungry right now that hearing about brats and potatoes is making my mouth water. :) And I loved Nyah in the bling bling baby Bjorn! Gabe is so cute pushing his stroller. Jack was obsess with pushing a toy stroller at Erin's house and at Jen's house. Sounds like you guys had fun despite the hail storm and 5 hrs of driving. :)

Mommy Amy's blog said...

Brit you look fabulous! What's your secret?

Melanie Anne said...

What a sweet family adventure!! I am so impressed with you and Eric and your adventurous spirit--even with 2 babies now!! That place looks so cool!! I LOVE that headband and she looks so darling in the fancy smancy baby carrier--much cuter than my boys did:) Love you!!

Erik & Marcie +3 said...

Looks like a really fun day trip! Gabe is too funny. My kids think it's hilarious to push their stroller too. :) Love Nyah's little (or big rather lol) flower headband!! So cute!

Erin said...

Oh, I was totally laughing reading this, remembering the hilarious description you provided on teh phone the other day. Especially about acting all excited about the hail storm to Gabe - "And look - you can EAT them too!" hehe! So funny! That is what makes a very memorable experience! The festival sounds like SO much fun! Little Nyah is adorable. What a darling bow - where on earth did you get it and why didn't I have one for Eliza!??! :)

The Wi Family said...

How fun!! We'll definitely have to make it up there sometime. Thanks for posting about it :)

Marnie said...

Brittany, I love your front carrier...very pretty. Where did you find it? Your sweet girl is so beautiful and Gabe is getting so big. Kevin and I went to Leavenworth about 10 years ago...it's just as charming as I remember it. Love you!

Jan S said...

That looked like fun. I laughed at Nyah's bow - you don't need at hat with a head accessory like that, hee-hee! She looked very cute!