The hour or so before bedtime is always a little crazy (ok, a lot)... what with hungry and tired kids whining at your feet while you're trying to make dinner! I know it's the same in almost all households with children all across the world no doubt. That makes me feel a little better actually! :) Anyway, tonight Gabe was being particularly naughty. First he was throwing toys carelessly against the floorboards and walls. When I asked him to stop he made his way into the kitchen where I was attempting dinner and started bashing his little train in his hand against one of the kitchen chairs. Again, I asked him to stop. This time he bashes it one more time HARD into the table and just looks at me. Oh boy. Anyway, to make a long story short we have time out, I have a few talks with him about being nice, and even give him ideas of things to do, etc. Nothing works. He resorts in the end to yelling at me that he wants to go to time out! I say "ok, go ahead, buddy." He runs away and when he sees I'm not coming, he yells he wants me to put him in time out! Well, at this point I'm struggling to stay patient but at the same moment it hits me that he is obviously needing, and I mean NEEDING, some attention. Not in 5 minutes. Not after dinner. NOW! So I stop what I'm doing and go get him... but instead of time out I take him to the couch and sit down with him in my lap. We hug and talk and giggle a little... until after about 3 minutes he wiggles off my lap and runs off to play. I'm left wondering what on earth took me so long to figure out that all he needed was 3 minutes of my undivided attention! Dinner can wait 3 minutes. Especially when it means peace and happiness in our lives... for the moment anyway! :)
I just wanted to record that "aha" moment for myself. I feel bad about so many things I mess up as a parent, that it feels really good to acknowledge when I get something right. Haha! And I wanted to remember it... for other evenings in the future!
I had another sweet moment tonight, with Nyah this time. I have to say that one of my favorite times of the day with her is when I nurse her before tucking her into bed. It is dark and peaceful in her room. We just cuddle and relax and when she's done, she puts her little chin on my shoulder, one arm up by her face and the other tucked down against me while I burp her. Same position every night. Then we rock in the chair or walk around while that inevitably stubborn bubble makes its way up. At this point she is usually very sleepy and tonight she started rubbing her face against mine - all over my face. (It was hard not to laugh as I got my nose and eyes mashed by her roving little face.) She made her little snuffles and snorts... and tonight gave a spontaneous little grunt/laugh followed by a big sigh and little "pbbfffttt" with her lips. It was so sweet. It really pulled at my heartstrings. I just love how uninhibited babies are, especially with their mamas. When I lowered her into her crib she gave me her obligatory little whimper before settling down quietly with her binki and quilt. It's almost hard to leave at night - I just want to give her one more kiss, one more cuddle, one more stroke on the cheek. Oh how I love that little girl.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




9 comments:
I am so grateful that my grandbabies have such a wonderful loving mother! Thanks Brittany.
hello, i started reading your blog a few weeks ago (first i discovered The Sisters Café), today i had to comment because the discription you made of the moments with your son felt just like my own. I have two boys (5 and 2)always wanting my atention. When a arrive home from work, the first thing I do is tom give them the atention they need. Everything seems to go much better after that. Sometimes we play or i read a story.
Excuse my english, i'm Portuguese.
I really love to read about your family, and your recipes at Sisters Cafe. Thank you!
Célia
Brittany, I loved this post. It was so tender about sweet baby Nyah. It makes me want to go up to sleeping Sam and cuddle him and not take it for granted this time! You are a good example of enjoying each little precious moment. I can't wait to see him tomorrow now. :)
And I love love LOVE your 'aha' moment with Gabe. So simple! So obvious, and yet, I have to learn and relearn that very thing over and over! Isn't that amazing - it only took three minutes of Mommy's attention. Three minutes. I will definitely think of you next time I am struggling in the kitchen. My personality sometimes is to just grind my teeth and get through it as fast as possible (make dinner faster while chaos ensues around me), but your way is so much better! Next time I need to stop and enjoy life! :) Thanks for the reminder! :) You are a wonderful Mommy.
Such a sweet post Brittany! You are such a great mom. Thanks for the reminder to take time out of my day for sweet moments with my kids. They grow up way too fast, and life is too short to let it pass by.
Brittany, I loved this post. You are such a gifted writer. You just captured those sweet moments perfectly. I could perfectly imagine everything. You are the BEST mom. And I agree with Erin that reading this just makes me want to get both of my little boys up one at a time and cuddle them (I'll refrain since it is midnight!) Tomorrow I am going to remember that the laundry, dinner, and everything else can wait a few minutes while I love my little boys.
What a beautiful post and just what I needed to hear! I love that our littles really do only need a few minutes and they are content! And I sure love your sweet little experience with baby Nyah. She is such a sweet little soul. I wish you were closer and I could snuggle my nephew and neice too--darn it! I love you and those babies of yours! xoxo
What a fabulous mom you are! Thank you for sharing your sweet experience!
I love you, my darling girl. You are a good Mama and your children are blessed to be born into your family. XO Mom
Wow! Thanks for that post, Baba.
Dad
Post a Comment