
Eric took Gabe on the Father and Son's ward campout this year for the first time and it was a
success!!! From the precious little I got out of my boys, I gather it was a blast! Here are the details: first of all, the campsite was next to a 20 foot drop off straight into a raging river... um ok, who picked that site? For some reason I can't quite fathom, Eric grimly told me that if Gabe had fallen over the edge, he would have been
gone, like swept away, never to be seen again! It was
that fierce of a river! I suppose the fact that he relished telling me that, means that he was looking forward to a hysterical mom-reaction and I'm proud to say I was acceptably blase about it. (But I don't like to think about it... geez.) Anyway, dinner was cooked over the campfire, mountain man style. Hotdogs on twigs, no less. Eric did have a civilized tin foil dinner, thanks to you-know-who, of course. The hotdogs were actually the dinner of their camp-mates the Allen's but that didn't stop Gabe from partaking. Ironically it was exactly what Eric wanted to bring for dinner (after all what could be easier than a dinner of flame broiled hotdog wieners?) but I prevailed with the tin foil dinner- still easy but slightly more nutritious. The evening went perfectly - by 10pm it was Gabe that climbed up into Daddy's lap and told him he wanted to go to bed!! So Eric took him into the tent, got him in his pjs and tucked him into his sleeping bag. He said Gabe was thrilled with the whole process and couldn't wait to sleep in his bed in the tent! The night went well, the boys were up with the sun, had a hot breakfast that the ward provided, and finished the day with a hike. After the hike Eric told me that Gabe asked where they were going now. When Eric said "home", Gabe asked "home to our campsite?" Our little man was not ready to go back to real life and wanted to keep camping! We have a little camper on our hands, yay! :)


6 comments:
It's a good thing I thought Eric was teasing me about the river! I would have had a bad night on Friday! The rivers here in Utah are so scary... I shouldn't worry though Eric is such a good daddy, Britt you raised him right! LOL
Grandma Cheryl
So cute! I am glad he wanted to go to bed! Dylan was up with Zed last year until midnight trying to get him to sleep and then he woke up a little after the sun came up, so we had a super ornery camper the next day! Lol! Don't think Dylan will take him again any time soon unfortunately!
Wow what a big boy!! Those pictures are so darn cute! What a sweet Daddy to take him camping and take such good care of him. That river sounds scarey! I am sure Eric was very vigilent. Fun adventures with gabe have begun!!
So cute! I love reading your blog because I love all the details you include and the way you write. You are too funny about being proud of yourself for being 'blase' about the 'raging' river, and how Eric was probably hoping for a hysterical reaction when he 'relished' telling you the 'grim' details. hahaha! too funny! Ironic, since our ward always picks the campsite alongside a stream with a very steep bank and Jed is nervous every year that they will 'lose' a kid in it. YIKES! Anyway, all the pictures of Gabe are SO CUTE! It totally reminds me of the pictures of Ben's first father and sons campout - Gabe is so little, so excited, and so cute! That is funny that he wanted to go 'home to our campsite' :) Eric is such a good daddy.
These are pics I've seen but didn't have time to comment. I love these fathers and sons campouts. It looks like Gabe had a blast - Eric is such a cute Daddy.
Ok, I am seriously dying that I didn't comment on any of these. I read them all forever ago. I came home and told Griff all about the crazy who planned a campout next to a raging river. :) I love how you were so calm when you found out. haha. Gabe sounds like he loved it. I can't wait to go on some campouts with Jack this summer.
Post a Comment