Friday, September 26, 2008

Canning Peaches!


Mindy and Griff have 2 huge peach trees that are very prolific! Every year they have peaches coming out of their ears! After eating just about 100 peaches each, on cereal, in muffins, icecream, pie, whatever you can think of, we decided to can the rest. Last year Mel and I canned peaches but this year Melanie is out of town and Mindy wanted to can....yes, I could hardly believe my ears. For one thing, Mindy isn't a big fan of the kitchen and secondly she is very pregnant - I know canning would not be on my list of things to do when pregnant (but then neither would hunting and she is doing the elk hunt in a few weeks! What a woman!) We have been working all day, no joke, and the kitchen feels like a sauna by now. Once the last bottle of peaches came out of the water bath, Gabe and I high-tailed-it down to the blissful coolness of the basement! Mindy is on her way to a much deserved pedicure too! Even though we worked our buns off, I had so much fun hanging out with my little sister. I don't know how she can make canning fun, but it was! I swear I don't remember it being that much work at home when Mom used to be in charge. But then I realized, after calling her for one or two emergencies, that things could have been much less complicated too. Why didn't I call her before we started?! Oh well, it's done - at least I should say I'm done...there are still 2 boxes of peaches left for Mel to can!! I'm going to feel so proud of myself looking at those pretty bottles of peaches sitting in food storage this winter! :)













Our little helper!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

..and then you came and babysat too! Man you must have been super tired that night!! thanks again! :)

Canning is ONLY fun when you do it with your family, at least that's what I think!

Anonymous said...

Hey Baba- canning those peaches looked like fun! reminded me of when we were growing up and mom would can all those things from our garden. I really like your blog sis- it's fun to get on and read what my sisters are up to. That video of Gabe "hopping" is hilarious! Love you,
Matt

Mindy said...

That video is so cute of Gabe... but I have seen him go even faster. He is so cute and funny to watch hop/scoot. :) I am bummed I had to work and couldn't go to the women's broadcast. Melanie was telling me about it today... she said it was amazing, too. And canning was so fun! Hot, but fun. Of course, Griff was in a cleaning frenzy when I got home though... so no pedicure for me. Unless I wanted to feel like a slouch. :) I am going to try to squeeze one in this week though... want to go?

Melanie Anne said...

That looks so coool--I am sad tht I couldn't hlep you to! What an accomplishment!! Gabe looks so cute too!