My sister Melanie and my friend Lindsay both inspired me to change things up a little on my blog. In an attempt to do that, I want to start sharing some of my favorite things... so today I'm going to give you one of my favorite poems that goes along with a cherished memory:
Growing up we had a thick book of America's Favorite Poems that was read and reread constantly. I remember my Mom reading to me from it as a little girl and since then I've always appreciated poetry. One thing she had me and my siblings do was to memorize and recite poems...mostly for the family's enjoyment on FHE night! (For some reason, Mindy seems to remember a lot more poems than the rest of us...maybe she just has a stellar memory...or maybe Mom thought she needed a lot more "things to do" as a child!) Anyway, this poem is one that we all memorized and has stuck with me throughout the years. It's a simple little verse, yet it teaches such a profound lesson in kindness and forgiveness. It has helped me so many times throughout my life... I love it and look forward to teaching my own children these same principles. And if I can sprinkle in some appreciation for poetry, all the better! Thanks Mom for being such a wonderful example to me and being such a loving, creative mother.
Outwitted
He drew a circle that shut me out-
Heretic, rebel, a thing to flout.
But Love and I had the wit to win:
We drew a circle that took him in!
Edwin Markham




7 comments:
I Love your new look!! ANd I love that poem too! It has always been a favorite of mine! Love you!
I like the new blog look...it's so fun to change it up every once in awhile huh! Looks nice! :)
Cool new blog, sis. I liked the old one, too, though. Kind of fun to be able to switch things up. :) I love that poem, too. I think Griff gets sick of me always reciting poems to him, but I love all those ones that we read and memorized when we were young.
I love the poem. Way to go on poetry- I wished I understood it better. But, I loved this little one! Oh and the blog looks very cute:)
Oh, I just love this poem too. It's really stuck with me through the years too. In fact, I shared it with my young women two sundays ago because it related to our lesson, and it means so much to me. And I remember reading it (reciting it) to my other Young Women in Missouri too! I love it.
How do you like the Best Loved Poems of the American People that I picked up for you? Are you just loving it?
Britt,
I love your new design. It's fun to shake things up a bit isn't it? I tried some different backgrounds for a few days, but ended up going back to black...I guess I'm a little boring that way. :)
Your new blog layout looks great. And I love your poem! I like short ones that you can memorize and recite easily. And I love cute little Gabe! I always laugh when I think about how he scoots around on his bum!
Post a Comment