Thursday, December 18, 2008

Jack McConnell

Baby Jack has finally arrived! Weighing in at 10 lbs 7 oz, he gave his mother a run for her money trying to get him here! Poor little Mindy is actually SuperWoman with a core of steel! What an amazing woman she was pushing for hours and never giving up! Finally with the aid of forceps and vacuum, "little" Jack arrived...with barely a heartbeat. All of us in the delivery room had about 10 years scared off our lives as we had to watch the medical professionals resuscitate our sweet baby. Just like what Griff wrote on their blog, Jack's first cry was the sweetest sound to hear!! I'm crying just thinking about it. I have rarely seen such a traumatic delivery (and you all know traumatic or high-risk deliveries are all I get to see for the most part... esp you work friends). Of course it makes it 100x worse when it's your baby sister but still. Wow. It was all I could do not to jump in and take over - haha! Little did those poor nurses know that I was critically watching their every move, just waiting for a clue that they needed help! They did very well of course and I think I did too...besides that one time when I had to correct the respiratory therapist about how poorly she was bagging! (There could not have been a seal since first she was bagging his cheek, then she had the mask half over his mouth so his bottom lip was out!! Aaaaah! She was not happy with me for pointing it out but how am I supposed to stand there watching that?!!) For the benefit of my friends at work reading this I will say that they gave chest compressions for a full minute...and yet his apgars were 1, 9 then 10!!! AND given all that he had not one problem with his blood sugars, nor any more issues at all. Both the OB and the Neonatologist (they have one in-house at Timp) were very surprised at how well he did considering. It was a miracle. I know Heavenly Father loves us and is aware of everything... through Him my little nephew is safe now. I couldn't be more grateful for my understanding of prayer and the gift of the Gospel in my life. Congratulations Malinda and Griff... Jack is absolutely beautiful!!!!
(This pictures says a thousand words... if you can imagine the relief and happiness we all felt at this moment. Poor Jack doesn't look too happy though! What a rough start, little darling!!) Look at those cheeks...aaaaaaah! So cute!!
We all came to cheer Mindy on in the beginning of that long day... aren't those 3 little boys cute!

9 comments:

Melanie Anne said...

I love your descriptions of the events of Jack's entrance into the world! Wow--it really was so traumatic--I am so grateful that he and Mindy are doing so well now! I love you Britt!

Anonymous said...

Wow, I am glad you were there to help out the poor RT! He is darling. congrats!

Anonymous said...

Baba, its nice knowing you are around during these traumatic experiences! Your mother gave your opinion the other night about something to do with Mindy and then followed with "So it must be right." It was cool the way Mindy wanted all her sisters in with her when delivering. I am SOOO glad she didn't want me!! ha ha I love staying in the waiting room! Dad

Erin said...

Oh Brittany, it sounds like it was such a scary delivery. It makes me feel so grateful too. I am very thankful that Jack is doing so well. What a blessing! He is just so cute. What a darling!

Isaac and Tallie said...

Oh wow...and I thought Andrew was big. I can't believe her first baby was that big. I am glad everything turned out okay. He is a cutie!

Mindy said...

Oh, baba... I thought my emotions were under control, but I just read your blog and here I am crying again. I am so thankful i can look down right now and see my sweet baby snuggled up on his bouncer - healthy as can be. It made me feel good that you were there to make sure my baby was well cared for following delivery. Heavenly Father was definitely watching over us that day. It is so wonderful to have such an amazing family to unite their prayers with Griff and mine in our time of need. I love you, sis!

Lindsay said...

That is so scary, I think I would've just stood there silently in shock! I'm so glad your little nephew is okay....and sooooo big! Congrats to your sister~!

Jan S said...

That was a beautiful record of the birth of our little boy. Thank you Baba. I am so thankful for my beautiful daughters and especially that you love each other so much, and support each other in every challenge that comes to you. I don't know how Mindy would have gotten through this experience without the love of her family. Little Jack is so beautiful isn't he! I am grateful to our compassionate and loving Father in Heaven who has blessed us with the safe delivery of this new little boy and his mother.

Marnie said...

I'm so glad that you were there Brittany to "over see" little Jack's care. I am so grateful that everything turned out well. He is such a sweet baby.