Friday, April 2, 2010

there's no one like Mom

I have been spoiled and pampered for almost a week... Mom came to help me with the baby! I didn't wash a dish, do laundry, clean, cook or pretty much do anything the entire time - it was fabulous! :) Gabe had the time of his life with Grandma... they read stacks of books, played all kinds of games, went on walks, and played trains by the hour. What a lucky little guy. And what a lucky mommy that got to take naps and relax with his new little sis! But the real reason I was so happy was that I got to just be around my wonderful mom. She has this knack of making me feel like the most important person in the world. I have missed her so much since we have moved away. This is the first time she has been able to come visit and I can't tell you how excited I have been! It has been heaven to have her presence in the house. There really is no one in the world like Mom!! I can't wait to some day share the same kind of relationship with Nyah. (Gotta love that face on Gabe!! haha!)
Mom brought so many presents for us! She made Nyah 4 of the cutest little blanket sets that she crocheted the edges of (which I was SO excited about since those are what I use for swaddling and I only had 1 for Nyah that I had made. I was worried I was going to have to use Gabe's little blue blankets - gasp!) She also made a darling quilt for Nyah! It is so warm and soft - we have been loving it for the middle of the night feedings! Then there were the clothes... oh my goodness, the clothes!! Can I just say that between my mom (and sisters!) and Eric's mom, Nyah is going to be the best dressed baby girl you can imagine! And I have been having a great time admiring all those adorable outfits! :)
Gabe got a great hair cut from Grandma - thanks mom!! What a handsome boy!Mom and Nyah did a lot of cuddling... It made me so happy that my mom could share with me this special time with Nyah and Gabe. That is probably the hardest part of living far away from family - knowing that we are missing so much of each others' lives, especially when it comes to little ones.
Making cookies with Grandma - what a blast! Gabe also helped make countless other goodies like rolls, muffins and cinnamon rolls - most of which are in the freezer for a rainy day. (Uh yeah, I have broken into the stash already but it has been awfully rainy here!!) He had so much fun with his Grandma!On the morning that Mom had to leave, we dyed our Easter eggs. Well, actually Mom and Gabe did... Nyah and I cuddled and took pictures of their hard work! It was so fun. I just love the holidays and the traditions that come with each one!
I'll admit that it was a struggle for me to watch my mom leave for home... but I'm so happy for the time we got to spend together. Thanks for coming Mom! I love you!!

6 comments:

Brianne said...

That's awesome that your mom could come spend time with you and your family. Good luck this week, let me know if you need a break or a nap :-).

manders said...

That is such a special time you had with your mom and nice for you to relax and enjoy her but that is what mom's are for to make us feel good and love us. Looks like Gabe has a black eye "oh no". You look amazing and so happy. Hope you guys had a great easter.
:)Amanda

Jan S said...

What a nice blog - it makes me feel very needed! :-)
I had a wonderful time, honey. It was MY pleasure being there enjoying you, Eric, Gabe and little Nyah. What sweet little kids they are! Seeing these pics makes me wish I could come again this weekend! Your dad would have loved to be there, I know.
Lots of love,
Mom

Mindy said...

Awesome post! I loved it. Mom is the best, I agree. I love having her around, too. Especially for big events. I'm so glad she was able to come to see you and new baby Nyah. That first picture of all of you together is so cute. I love Gabe's shiner and the funny look on his face. :) All those pictures with mom make me want to hold her SO much! And Nyah looks totally ADORABLE in that yelow outfit with the big yellow flower headband. Seriously, I hope you got lots of pics in it. Then the picture of mom and Gabe makign cookies makes me laugh. Gabe looks so proud of himself... and PS he looks like a little boy. He is so big! Did he love dying eggs? I love that last picture of Gabe, Nyah and you with the eggs. Gabe has the biggest, happies grin. Amy said that Wesley really liked dying eggs this year. I'm excited for Jack to start understanding and enjoying those types of tradiitons.

Melanie Anne said...

What a great post!! I am so happy that Mom could come out and be with you and your darling babies. Nyah is so precious!! Oh my goodness I can NOT WAIT to hold her this summer!@!!! Oh and I sure do love Gabers shiner! What a tough big brother. I can not believe how old and grown up he looks all of a sudden! And your kitchen looks gorgeous!!! I can't wait to see more of your new house! Give that sweet baby a kiss for me! And one for Gabe too of course:)

Erin said...

Mom truly is wonderful! I felt the same way when she came to visit me. It was like Christmas when she opened up her suitcase! :) And she spoiled me rotten too. :) We have such a good mother. I love all the pictures. And that yellow flower headband is adorable! :)