

The ocean view from our deck... you could hear the waves...

Every few years my parents host a family vacation - usually on the beach - and we all have the chance to get together and have a great time playing our hearts out! It's so fun for me - I love it like I love Christmas (which in case you didn't know, I look forward to Christmas every year starting Jan 1st!) This year Melanie and Erin's families couldn't make it but the rest of us had a wonderful time. Our favorite spot as a family is Seaside, Oregon but this year we decided to try a different part of the Oregon coast: Gleneden Beach. Everyone loved it! In fact no one can decide if Gleneden or Seaside is better. Gleneden is a beautiful stretch of sandy beach that isn't crowded at all. There is a cold, fresh breeze that makes sunbathing a little uncomfortable but kite flying a must. Swimming is really out of the question though - brrr! (But the hot tubs sure felt great!) The kids loved all the sand to play in and the rest of us just loved to be near the ocean, hearing and watching the waves crash in and the tides come in and out... I just love the coast.
The best part about Gleneden Beach was the
agate hunting!! Agates are beautiful semi-transparent stones that are washed in from the ocean floor. It's fun to search for them at the low tide. Usually they are yellow and orange tones but there were lots of colors. My family was nuts about collecting them! Seriously... they would get up at 5 am if needed to make it before low tide and spend
hours on the cold, windy beach picking up agates until their feet and hands were frozen. (I know this because of my own few and brief agate hunting expeditions... good grief, that takes dedication!) Matt was even out on crutches and a broken leg, for pete sake, slogging through the waves and balancing on one foot to grab each agate!! It was pretty crazy! But it sure was fun going through everyone's treasures at the end of each day. There were some really impressive agate collections, let me tell ya. Mine was pretty pathetic compared to the rest but I was happy with it anyway! These vacations are so precious to me. I love each member of my family so much and it is such a pleasure to spend to time with all of them. I can't wait for the next one!









We played hard and slept hard! (Nice pillow, Eric -poor guy!)
Sightseeing The Oregon coastline is exciting to explore -the views along the coast are stunning and there are so many fun little towns along the way.


Devil's Punchbowl
Tide Pools Lots of mussells, crabs and starfish to see. But BRRRRRR was it cold! The beach was all black stones from ancient volcanic rock that had been rounded and smoothed perfectly by the waves over time. Very cool.
There were lots of harbor seals literally perched on the rocks... see what I mean?!

Kite flying Mom brought everyone home from China a wonderful kite! We had dragons and hawks gliding and diving up in the sky... they were so fun!



Sun and Sand ...the best part of all.







That little bundle of towels actually has Nyah hidden inside! She did not like the wind and finally fell asleep next to Daddy when I covered her entirely up and laid her on the warm sand!



Three little buddies: Gabe, Wesley and Jack.
4 comments:
What a great post! You captured our vacation so well. I was too intimidated to do it all in one post, so I am going to spread it out over a few. I have to say my favorite picture is of Gabe in the pool on his little innertube. That is the cutest little face he is making! I wish we were back there together right now. I sure love you, sis.
PS It was fun to get so many comments on my posts from you today!
Wow looks like you had a great Vacay!!! Such cute pictures of you,eric and the kids. Glad your enjoying summer... Hope your doing well...
Amanda H
Oh man this was sooo fun to see--but geez I wish I could ahve gone. Especially since I didn't get to see your family at all this summer! Thank heavens you are coming soon!! We are counting down the days! I can't believe how much Gabe has changed--he just looks like such a big boy now! What happened? Why do our babies grow so fast! All those pictures are awesome! I loved the one with Dad and boys with oranges and sweet Gabe in his little tube! And little Nyah is precious! Oh and that pic of you and MOm with the wind blowing is really good--you both look so pretty! I sure do love you!!
Oh, I agree with Mind, you captured this vacation so well! Great pictures, everything is awesome. Maybe I should just copy and paste:) Wish we could have gone to the tide pools and Devils Punchbowl with you. That looks like lots of fun! If we go here again, we are definitely going. I'm so glad you and Eric came and brought your kids. I loved meeting little Nyah, she is so sweet, has the biggest grin I think I've ever seen on a little baby! I love it! And Gabe has such a silly, fun personality. I love watching him grow up. It was so wonderful to just spend an entire week together. A little crazy at times, but so worth it. Can't wait to see you at Christmas!
Post a Comment