Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Body Worlds 3 Exhibit

This was quite the experience! I know some people are a little weirded out by the whole thing but I thought it was tastefully done for the most part. (Although the sound of a loud beating heart through the whole thing really creeped us out after awhile!) It was very informative and fascinating - especially seeing a smokers lung compared to a nonsmoker - it is positively BLACK! The highlight for me was seeing the different stages of the fetus (I read that they were initially preserved in the early 1900's and these scientists plasticized them recently). It sounds awfully morbid but for some reason it wasn't to me at the time. Unfortunately I've seen and gently handled deceased babies as early as 18 weeks so it wasn't shocking for me - it was actually quite peaceful. It was absolutely mind boggling to see a teensy 9 week old fetus with fingers and toes! I found it so humbling. That was just a small part though. Primarily the exhibit was focused on the heart and the cardiovascular system. Most of the full body exhibits were in motion - like balancing on a ball or throwing a spear. The lighting was fantastic - pitch dark with bright spotlights on each exhibit. It just made you want to whisper... so you can imagine how loud Gabe sounded yelling "BALL!" when he would see one! It was quite funny, actually! Luckily there were no stuffy people that got offended by his exuberance! Overall, it was a great experience...definitely worth $23 for both of us -luckily I had a free ticket for being a health care professional. (I'm not sure about paying almost $50 for both of us though!) It was great just to be downtown too. It brought back lots of good memories for Eric and I since we spent our first 18 months being married living right behind the Conference Center. Body Worlds was actually in the Leonardo by the library...I really miss that library, it is so cool!

5 comments:

Lynnell said...

I went to that exibit too, I thought it was very interesting, it reminded me a lot of anatomy in college. I think it was worth it to see all that at least once in my lifetime.

Jodi said...

Dave totally wants to go to this. I keep avoiding the conversation but he keeps bringing it up. I am so sure that I would be dry heaving through the whole thing. I am the most squeamish person alive. I'm not sure how well I would do with it all!

Melanie Anne said...

That sounds so cool! I really want to go! I think I am going to tag along with Mindy! That is funny about the ball and Gabe! He is such a doll! Lov eyou!

Mindy said...

I loved going to Bodies in Vegas, but I haven't been to it here yet. The technology is fascinating. I think it is a must for anyone who is currently in anatomy. Sounds like you guys had fun, sis! PS I love the slide picture on your side bar. Gabe is grinning so BIG!

Erin said...

I always wondered if that would be a weird exhibit or cool. But it sounds like you had a great time. Funny about Gabe and yelling 'ball!' Downtown is so fun. You guys do so many fun adventurous things together.