Friday, October 10, 2008

HAPPY B-DAY OLD MAN!!

I mean, Dad! Heehee...he is 60 though! Wow, I can't believe it. My Dad, Johnn Kendall Sterzer, has to be the neatest guy on the earth (besides my own Eric, of course). :) Today he is turning the big six oh....so we took him to lunch to take some of the sting away. I'm just kidding - 60 isn't old at all! Especially for Dad who is still flying to Alaska to go tramping all over the wilds hunting and trekking through the mountains on his horse half the time...what a guy! I have so many wonderful memories of my Dad. Daddy-daughter dates are good ones - like the time when he took me (on his motorcycle) to Grannies for an ice cream cone and I sadly realized I liked his choice much better than mine... so of course he traded me! Or like all the times he would tell my little sisters and I exciting bed time stories about wild creatures and cowboys and Indians - complete with sound effects like the wind whistling through the trees. Or how he would happily join me to watch a sunset, even though I would drag him away at inopportune times. Or all the fun we had camping, fishing, hunting, sightseeing ,and hiking. My Dad truly taught me to love and respect the wildness of nature. He is always one to pause and appreciate the beauty around us. I still gather autumn leaves and carry my "possibles bag" with me in the mountains because of his influence. As fun as he was as a father, the most important thing he gave me was a solid foundation in the Gospel of Jesus Christ and a secure, loving environment to grow up in. I love both of my parents so much - words can never describe! Thanks Dad, for all that you have done for me... for all that you are! I love you!

Here we all are at lunch with our b-day boy! We were sad everyone couldn't come, but it was still a blast!

3 comments:

Mindy said...

Dad is amazing! You summed up how great our childhood was pretty well, sis. Wish we could have made it for lunch, too. I especially loved the picture of Dad with the little boys.

Anonymous said...

Oh, Baba. . . .we have had some good times, eh? And the memories I have of you I find myself reliving all the time.. .and they get better and better!!!. . . . and they just keep on coming! We kinda grew up together. . and it was a blast!! Now you are being duplicated in your little one(s). . . like Gabe's "sittin-up" crawl! ha ha Thanks for taking me to lunch. Love you big-as-the-sky, honey. Dad

Erin said...

i have two kids on my lap, but i have so much to say. i'll leave a comment later. loved this post