Wednesday, October 29, 2008

True courage

...is facing the horrifying reality of cancer full of faith and optimism. That's my Mom for you. Last month she was diagnosed with breast cancer... and despite being a very small area, it had apparently already progressed to invasive ductal carcinoma. I can't describe the terror I felt, much less my mom's! Needless to say, I could hardly bring myself to talk about it - and I certainly couldn't blog about it. Things are definitely looking up now so I feel more inclined to share. :) Now after 2 surgeries, she is "ready" to move on to radiation therapy. No chemotherapy - all the lymph nodes tested were negative for cancer so it is extremely unlikely that it spread to other parts of her body. What an answer to prayer! I don't think I have it in me to say more - I just feel so emotional and thankful. Honestly, I can't imagine life with out my Mom. She is truly the perfect mother for me, an inspiring example of womanhood, and a deeply cherished friend. I don't think I tell her enough (I know I don't) how much I love her and appreciate her. I know a large part of who I am today is from the understanding, love, and guidance she gave me throughout all those vital years of childhood and adolescence. I LOVE YOU MOM.... BIGGER THAN THE SKY!!!!! I also want to thank all the wonderful, kind, selfless, compassionate, friends and family that truly rallied around Mom in her time of need. The night we heard the bad news Dad was out of town so I immediately went to Mom so she wouldn't be alone. Well, someone was at the front door to give my mom a hug even before I arrived! I started crying then and have hardly stopped as I've witnessed the outpouring of support and love. Thank you everyone. You have no idea how much it meant to her... and to all of us. We love you!!

7 comments:

Trisha said...

I am so glad things are going so well for her and your family. She sounds like an amazing woman! May all your prayers be answered.

Mindy said...

You said it perfect, sis. Mom is amazing, and I am so thankful for her, too. People really have been wonderful. I'm thankful the surgeries are over now, and we can move on to the radiation. It will be such a relief to have this all behind Mom (hopefully for good). i love you, sis.

Kristen said...

Wow! Cancer is sure scary. I am so sorry for her. Your Mom is beautiful, She looks like she could be in her 30s! I hope everything goes well for her.

Dylan said...

holy cow.. I had no Idea! I feel out of the Sterzer family loop nowadays... Anyhow I will shoot her an email but I am sure glad she is out of the woods!

Anonymous said...

Baba. What a wonderful trubute to the "woman of our lives"! . . .and with pictures too! I can't tell you how great it was to come home THAT night (late) and have you there at the house (I think you were vacuming the floors). You DO know how to best love your mom!! Anyway, honey, your blog today brought tears to my eyes. You two deserve one another! Dad

Jan S said...

Honey, that was such a nice entry. You have been such a support through all of this. You came the night I heard the news, brought freshly baked bread and cleaned my house. You knew just what would relieve my stress level! :) And you have been there for me every day since. Thank you for loving me. Mom

Lindsay said...

Brittany, I had no idea. I can't imagine what you have been going through. I am glad to hear things are looking better. I can't imagine what you all have been going through. I will be praying for your mom and your family.