This morning we found a nest with 4 tiny, spotted eggs in it... tucked deep within my hanging pot!! I asked Eric to fetch it down from where it has been hanging on the front porch. I needed to water it (poor thing was wilting from my neglect) and I had been wanting to move it to the back where we could enjoy it more. So anyway, he gets it down and, lo and behold, we have a sweet little surprise waiting! Now I don't want to move it to the backyard in case the mama bird won't come back so I guess I'm stuck with leaving it in the front until our 4 little babies leave the nest! Gabe and I had a great time peering in on the eggs this morning after the watering and keeping tabs on the mama's whereabouts all morning. I was a little concerned because in addition to moving her home, I accidentally doused the nest while watering and it turns out to be as water-tight as a dish!! I was dismayed to see the eggs half covered in cold water that refused to drain but I knew if I did anything to get the water out, she would for sure not come back. Eric reminded me that rain has got to get in there sometimes and I'm sure we had unwittingly been drowning the poor things prior to our discovery every time we watered anyway...so his manly logic reassured me that I hadn't done anything lethal. :) Later I was relieved to see the mama bird back on the nest. I'm still wondering what happened to that standing water though...
Fun! My MIL had a nest like that in a pot on the ground at her house a couple of summers ago. We loved checking on it whenever we were there. The babies are so cute! My parents had one this spring and the babies are already hatched and gone. I'm sure this will be a new daily activity for you and Gabe :-).
That is so cute and funny! Do you think the eggs got cold from the water?
Thank you so much for watching Bryant the other day! My legs are still so sore, didn't drink enough water! Did Todd show you the piece of tooth they removed? It's huge!
What a fun story! I was amused about the eggs half covered in cold water story. Nice, sis! Trying to freeze out the little birds! Just kidding. :) I would have reacted the same way, which is why I was amused so much. :) Glad the mama bird came back. This is a fun little adventure!
Oh, how cool! I hope they do hatch and your able to see the baby birds! Hopefully the mama bird isn't as crazy as the magpies in my yard. :) Your basket is beautiful, too.
Mom to 3 of the best little kids and wife to one incredible man, I am blessed! This blog is where I share our big and small moments.
Our family in a nutshell: Gabe is a 6 yrs old lego fanatic. He is incredibly creative and sensitive - my little buddy. Nyah is our 3 yr old little sweetheart. She is generous with her smiles and loves and keeps us all on our toes with her fiery personality! Ian is our sweet and happy baby - 17 months old and greeting every person he sees with a sunny "HI!" and a wave of his chubby fist! Eric is a Market Director for JPMorgan Chase and the world's best family man. I get to stay home with our kids full-time...it is so much fun to be with my little ones all day. Someday I'll return to the NICU but for now I'm enjoying my time creating a happy, safe home for my family. Eric and I both love the outdoors, skiing/boarding, traveling, reading and most of all, playing with our kids.
Since my sisters and I all love to cook we decided to start our own cooking blog to make it easier to share recipes...The Sister's Cafe! It has been so fun to create together - my sisters are incredible people and fabulous cooks...so enjoy!
7 comments:
Fun! My MIL had a nest like that in a pot on the ground at her house a couple of summers ago. We loved checking on it whenever we were there. The babies are so cute! My parents had one this spring and the babies are already hatched and gone. I'm sure this will be a new daily activity for you and Gabe :-).
That is so sweet. I am sure it is a great teaching opportunity for Gabe too!
That is so cute and funny! Do you think the eggs got cold from the water?
Thank you so much for watching Bryant the other day! My legs are still so sore, didn't drink enough water! Did Todd show you the piece of tooth they removed? It's huge!
What a fun story! I was amused about the eggs half covered in cold water story. Nice, sis! Trying to freeze out the little birds! Just kidding. :) I would have reacted the same way, which is why I was amused so much. :) Glad the mama bird came back. This is a fun little adventure!
Bridger and I loved looking at the nest - we think it's cool! Bridger says he is very sad that you moved. We miss you.
XOXOX
Oh, how cool! I hope they do hatch and your able to see the baby birds! Hopefully the mama bird isn't as crazy as the magpies in my yard. :) Your basket is beautiful, too.
Oh wow! What a neat thing to find!
Post a Comment